- Lee MS, Stebbins MJ, Jiao H, Huang HC, Leiferman EM, Walzack BE, Palecek SP, Shusta EV, Li WJ. Comparative evaluation of isogenic mesodermal and ectomesodermal chondrocytes from human iPSCs for cartilage regeneration. Sci Adv 2021; 7:eabf0907.
- Pei YA, Dong Y, He TC, Li WJ, Toh WS, Pei M. Editorial: Extracellular vesicle treatment, epigenetic modification and cell reprogramming to promote bone and cartilage regeneration. Front Bioeng Biotechnol 2021; 9:678014.
- Grondin MW, Liu F, Vignos MF, Samsonov A, Li WJ, Kijowski R, Henak CR. Bi-component T2 mapping correlates with articular cartilage material properties. J Biomech 2021; 116:110215.
- Jiao H, Walczak BE, Lee MS, Lemieux ME, Li WJ. GATA6 regulates aging of human mesenchymal/stromal cells. Stem Cells 2021; 39:62-77.
- Yuan H, Li X, Lee MS, Zhang Z, Li B, Xuan H, Li WJ, Zhang Y. Collagen and chondroitin sulfate functionalized bioinspired fibers for tendon tissue engineering application. Int J Biol Macromol 2021; 170:248-260.
- Weishar R, Lee MS, Fontana G, Hematti P, Li WJ. Endothelin-1 reduces catabolic activity of human mesenchymal stem/stromal cells during chondro- and osteo-lineage differentiation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2020; 529:180-185.
- Stebbins MJ, Gastfriend BD, Canfield SG, Lee MS, Richards D, Faubion MG, Li WJ, Daneman R, Palecek SP, Shusta EV. Human pluripotent stem cell-derived brain pericyte-like cells induce blood-brain barrier properties. Sci Adv 2019; 5:eaau7375.
- Lee MS, Wang J, Yuan H, Jiao H, Tsai TL, Squire MW, Li WJ. Endothelin-1 differentially directs linage specification of adipose- and bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. FASEB J 2019; 33:996-1007.
- Wang JF, Lee MS, Tsai TL, Leiferman EM, Trask DJ, Squire MW, Li WJ. Bone morphogenetic protein-6 Attenuates type 1 diabetes mellitus-associated bone loss. Stem Cells Transl Med 2019 (in press)
- Li WJ, Jiao H, Walczak BE. Emerging opportunities for induced pluripotent stem cells in orthopedics. J Orthop Transl 2019 (in press)
- Jiang YC, Jiao HL, Lee MS, Wang T, Turng LS, Li Q, Li WJ. Endogenous biological factors modulated by substrate stiffness regulate endothelial differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells. J Biomed Mater Res A 2018; 106:1595-1603.
- Lee PT, Li WJ. Chondrogenesis of embryonic stem cell-derived mesenchymal stem cells induced by TGFB1 and BMP7 through increased TGFB receptor expression and endogenous TGFB1 production. J Cell Biochem 2016; 118:172-181.
- Tsai TL, Li WJ. Identification of bone marrow-derived soluble factors regulating human mesenchymal stem cells for bone regeneration. Stem Cell Reports 2017; 8:387-400.
- Zhou Y, Tsai TL, Li WJ. Strategies to retain properties of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells ex vivo. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2017; 1409:3-17.
- Ishihara S, Inman DR, Li WJ, Ponik SM, Keely RJ. Mechano-signal transduction of mesenchymal stem cells induces mammary cancer cell proliferation, but inhibits metastasis, via prosaposin secretion. Cancer Res 2017; 77:6179-6189.
- Zhou Y, Zimber M, Yuan H, Naughton GK, Fernan R, Li WJ. Effects of human fibroblast-derived extracellular matrix on mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cell Rev 2016; 12:560-572.
- Yuan H, Zhou Y, Lee MS, Zhang Y, Li WJ. A newly identified mechanism involved in regulation of human mesenchymal stem cells by fibrous substrate stiffness. Acta Biomater 2016; 42:247-257.
- Jin E, Lee PT, Jeon WB, Li WJ. Effects of elastin-like peptide on regulation of human mesenchymal stem cell behavior. Regen Eng Transl Med 2016; 2:85-97.
- Chaudhary R, Lee MS, Mubyana K, Duenwald-Kuehl S, Kaiser J, Vanderby R, Eliceiri KW, Corr DT, Li WJ, Campagnola PJ, Halanski MA. The role of periosteal fibers in accelerated bone growth. Bone 2016; 92:201-213.
- Handorf AM, Chamberlain CS, Li WJ. Endogenously-produced Indian hedgehog regulates TGFB-driven chondrogenesis of human bone marrow stromal/stem cells. Stem Cells Dev 2015; 24:995-1007.
- Handorf AM, Zhou Y, Halanski MA, Li WJ. Tissue stiffness dictates development, homeostasis, and disease progression. Organogenesis 2015; 11:1-15.
- Tsai TL, Wang B, Squire MW, Guo LW, Li WJ. Endothelial cells direct human mesenchymal stem cells for osteo- and chondro-lineage differentiation through endothelin-1 and AKT signaling. Stem Cell Res Ther 2015; 6:88.
- Jing X, Jin E, Mi HY, Li WJ, Peng XF, Turng LS. Hierarchically decorated electrospun poly(?-caprolactone)/nanohydroxyapatite composite nanofibers for bone tissue engineering. J Mater Sci 2015; 50:4174-4186.
- Chiu CY, Tsai TL, Vanderby R, Bradica G, Lou SL, Li WJ. Osteoblastogenesis of mesenchymal stem cells in 3-D culture enhanced by low-intensity pulsed ultrasound through soluble receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa B ligand. Ultrasound Med Bio 2015; 41:1842-1852.
- Saether EE, Chamberlain CS, Leiferman EM, Kondratko-Mittnacht JR, Li WJ, Brickson SL, Vanderby R. Enhanced medial collateral ligament healing using mesenchymal stem cells: dosage effects on cellular response and cytokine profile. Stem Cell Rev 2014; 10:86-96.
- Handorf AM, Li WJ. Induction of mesenchymal stem cell chondrogenesis through sequential administration of growth factors within specific temporal windows. J Cell Physio 2014; 229:162-171.
- Palumbo S, Tsai TL, Li WJ. Macrophage migration inhibitory factor regulate Akt signaling in hypoxic culture to modulate senescence of human mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells Dev 2014; 23:852-865.
- Tsai TL, Nelson BC, Anderson PA, Zdeblick TA, Li WJ. Intervertebral disc and tem cells co-cultured in biomimetic extracellular matrix stimulated by cyclic compression in perfusion bioreactor. Spine J 2014; 14:2127-2140.
- Czaplewski SK, Tsai TL, Duenwald-Kuehl SE, Vanderby R Jr, Li WJ. Tenogenic differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived mesenchymal stem cells dictated by properties of braided nanofibrous scaffolds. Biomaterials 2014; 35:6907-6917.
- Brown PT, Squire MW, Li WJ. Characterization and evaluation of mesenchymal stem cells derived from human embryonic stem cells and bone marrow. Cell Tissue Res 2014; 358:149-164.
- Mi HY, Palumbo S, Jing X, Turng LS, Li WJ, Peng XF. Thermoplastic polyurethane/hydroxyapatite electrospun scaffolds for bone tissue engineering: effect of polymer properties and particle size. J Biomed Mater Res Part B 2014; 102:1434-1444.
- Tsai TL, Manner PA, Li WJ. Regulation of mesenchymal stem cell chondrogenesis by glucose through protein kinase C/Transforming growth factor signaling. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2013; 21:368-376.
- Barber JG, Handorf AM, Allee TJ, Li WJ. Braided nanofibrous scaffold for tendon and ligament tissue engineering. Tissue Eng Part A 2013; 19:1265-1274.
- Brown PT, Handorf AM, Jeon WB, Li WJ. Stem cell-based tissue engineering approaches for musculoskeletal regeneration. Curr Pharm Des 2013; 19: 3429-3445.
- Palumbo SL, Li WJ. Osteoprotegerin enhances osteogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells. Tissue Eng Part A 2013; 319:1942-1955.
- Pflum ZE, Palumbo SL, Li WJ. Adverse effect of demineralized bone powder on osteogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells. Exp Cell Res 2013; 319:1942-1955.
- Cui ZX, Nelson B, Peng YY, Li K, Pilla S, Li WJ, Turng LS, Shen CY. Fabrication and characterization of injection molded poly(epsilon-caprolactone) and poly(epsilon-caprolactone)/hydroxyaptite scaffolds for tissue engineering. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 2012; 32:1674-1681.
- Koepsel JT, Brown PT, Loveland SG, Li WJ, Murphy WL. Combinatorial screening of chemically defined human mesenchymal stem cell culture substrates. J Mater Chem 2012; 22:19474-19481.
- Handrof AM, Li WJ. Fibroblast growth factor-2 primes human mesenchymal stem cells for enhanced chondrogenesis. PLoS One 2011; 6:e22887.
- Giri J, Li WJ, Tuan RS, Cicerone MD. Stabilization of proteins by nanoencapsulation in sugar-glass for tissue engineering and drug delivery applications. Adv Mater 2011; 23:4861-4867.
- Barber JG, Li WJ. Nanostructured scaffolds for biology and tissue engineering. Nano Life 2010; 1&2:109-120.
- Mauck RL, Baker BM, Nerurkar NL, Burdick JA, Li WJ, Tuan RS, Elliott DM. Engineering on the straight and narrow: the mechanics of nanofibrous assemblies for fiber-reinforced tissue regeneration. Tissue Eng Part B Rev 2009; 15:171-193.
- Baker BM, Handorf AM, Ionescu LC, Li WJ, Mauck RL. New directions in nanofibrous scaffolds for soft tissue engineering and regeneration. Expert Rev Med Devices 2009; 6:515-532.